LGBTIQA plus Rights in western Australia
Eligibility : Residents of Western Australia Only
|Principal Petitioner: Misty Farquhar
||Facilitating Member: Foster, Hon Peter
||Closing Date: 13 October 2022
||Posting Date: 08 September 2022
|No. of Signatures: 1525
To the President and Members of the Legislative Council of the Parliament of Western Australia in Parliament assembled. We the undersigned ...
While we welcome the government’s recent announcement regarding the review of the Equal Opportunity Act, we remain deeply concerned that the rights of LGBTIQA+ Western Australians have fallen behind the rights of LGBTIQA+ people in other Australian States.
This is causing preventable harm and disadvantage to Western Australians.
We call on the Legislative Council to inform itself of these impacts, and accordingly amend Western Australia’s laws, including by legislating to:
- In consultation with the LGBTIQA+ community, implement the recommendations of the Law Reform Commission’s review of the Equal Opportunity Act (Project 111) in a timely manner to update anti-discrimination protections for LGBTIQA+ people,
- Abolish the Gender Reassignment Board and ensure trans and gender diverse people can easily update their birth certificates for legal gender recognition, without the need for surgery or other invasive treatments,
- Implement comprehensive protections against conversion practices that seek to change or suppress gender identity sexual orientation or gender identity in line with the SOGICE Survivor Statement, including the civil response scheme and support for survivors,
- Stop deferrable medical interventions on people born with intersex variations without the informed consent of that person, in line with the Darlington Statement,
- Create equality of surrogacy access for LGBTIQA+ people, particularly men and non-binary people,
- Ensure whole of government inclusion in laws and policies to address social, economic, and health inequality, with clear accountability to the community.
And your petitioners as in duty bound, will ever pray.