Discrimination against unborn children with Down Syndrome
Eligibility : Residents of Western Australia Only
To the President and Members of the Legislative Council of the Parliament of Western Australia in Parliament assembled. We the undersigned ...
1. Are distressed to learn that last year alone there were 8,551 abortions in our State, including 76 at a late-stage of pregnancy and 71 “justified” because the unborn child was suspected of having Down syndrome;
2. Note the Premier’s statement on the first day of Parliament this year that his Government intends to “modernise our abortion laws to make safety, privacy and dignity an absolute right”;
3. Call on the McGowan Government to affirm that Western Australia is a State that has compassion for both pregnant mothers and unborn children irrespective of the circumstances of the pregnancy;
4. Appeal to the McGowan Government to ensure that any purported modernisation of our State’s law include the ending of the disability discrimination that has seen so many lives taken of those with Down syndrome; and
5. Request that the Legislative Council ensure any amendment legislation enshrines the safety, privacy and dignity of unborn children suspected of having Down syndrome and other conditions compatible with life.
And your petitioners as in duty bound, will ever pray.
Sorry this e-Petition status is "Current". You may not sign the petiton at this time.