No Further State of Emergency Declarations to be Made
Eligibility : Residents of Western Australia Only
|Principal Petitioner: Bianca Cobby
||Facilitating Member: Goiran, Hon Nick
||Closing Date: 03 August 2022
||Posting Date: 29 June 2022
|No. of Signatures: 10302
To the President and Members of the Legislative Council of the Parliament of Western Australia in Parliament assembled. We the undersigned ...
1. On 15 March 2020, Premier Mark McGowan’s appointed Minister for Emergency Services declared a “State of Emergency” with effect from 12am on 16 March 2020;
2. Since that time Premier McGowan has twice replaced that Ministerial position, such that our State is now on its third Minister for Emergency Services during this declared “State of Emergency”;
3. The three successive Ministers have made extensions of this declared “State of Emergency” at least every fortnight resulting in our Government retaining “emergency powers” for well beyond two years;
4. These “emergency powers” were acknowledged as “extreme and draconian” and “not normal” by Premier McGowan in March 2020;
5. For more than two years, Premier McGowan has said, repeated and insisted that his Government’s decisions are based on the advice of the Chief Health Officer;
6. In a shocking revelation on 22 June 2022, the current Minister admitted that he had extended the declared “State of Emergency” on 12 occasions and had never once received a copy of the Chief Health Officer’s advice;
7. This same Minister visited the United States of America in June 2022 at the cost of taxpayers to “promote” Western Australia;
8. Premier McGowan and his Deputy Premier Roger Cook have embarked on a visit of six countries in seven months to convince tourists to visit Western Australia;
9. These collective actions by the Premier and his Ministers demonstrate that it is no longer reasonable or proportionate to extend the “State of Emergency” declarations.
We therefore ask the Legislative Council to urgently inquire into this matter with a view to making a finding that Western Australia can no longer be reasonably considered to be in a “State of Emergency” and recommend that the Premier and his Ministers cease and desist from making any further extensions.
And your petitioners as in duty bound, will ever pray.
Sorry this e-Petition status is "Closed". You may not sign the petiton at this time.