|Terms of Reference:||Terms of Reference:
That the Economics and Industry Standing Committee inquire into and report by 28 February 2008 on:
1. the benefits to, cost to and imposts on irrigators, industry, community and environment of a licensing system for the taking of water from groundwater or stream flow;
2. the full cost incurred by the Department of Water for administration of the current water licence system;
3. the extent to which the water licence administration fees meet cost recovery requirements the National Water Initiative (NWI) places on the State with respect to services delivered to water users;
4. the penalty or cost that might be applied to Western Australia by the Commonwealth under the NWI, if there was minimal or no cost recovery for services provided to water users by the Department of Water;
5. whether water licences and/or licence administration fees should be required for taking water under arrangements that are currently exempt; for example, residential bores drawing from an unconfined aquifer;
6. what recognition needs to be given to the cost incurred by landholders in harvesting water, including dam construction costs; and
7. the extent to which the NWI provides for a range of different licensing systems.
The members of the Committee are the Member for Yokine (Hon Mr Bob Kucera, MLA), Chair; the Member for Greenough (Mr Grant Woodhams, MLA), Deputy Chair; the Member for Maylands (Dr Judy Edwards, MLA); the Member for Collie (Mr Michael Murray, MLA); and the Member for Serpentine/Jarrahdale (Mr Tony Simpson, MLA).