Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 08/10/2020 (01:00 PM)
Sitting Today (01:00 PM)
The Legislative Council meets on 08/10/2020 (01:15 PM)
Sitting Today (01:15 PM)
Legislation Committee meet on 30/09/2020 (10:15 AM)
Sitting Today (10:15 AM)
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
7 December 2017
Hon Michael Mischin
Hon R.H. Cook
PATHWEST — CONFIDENTIAL PERSONAL INFORMATION — DISCLOSURE
Hon MICHAEL MISCHIN
to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health:
I refer to the minister's answer yesterday about the Public Sector Commissioner's report titled ''PathWest's management of a complaint about disclosure of confidential personal information'', which stated —
The report found that none of the patient data systems used by either PathWest or the Department of Health
keep an audit log of when a user logs into the system or when a user views a patient record.
(1) Where precisely in the report does that finding appear?
(2) Given page 44 of the report states, ''The allegations that the Respondent may have engaged in unauthorised access of information were never fully explored'', what actions have since been taken to explore those possibilities and what has been the outcome?
(3) If the system used by PathWest and the Department of Health did not at the material time keep an audit log, what action has since been taken to remedy the position?
Hon SAMANTHA ROWE
On behalf of the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health, I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question. I am advised of the following.
(1) I wish to make a correction to the statement provided yesterday. This finding is not in the Public Sector Commissioner's report titled ''PathWest's management of a complaint about disclosure of confidential personal information''. Information on audit logs for data systems has been the subject of a separate examination by the North Metropolitan Health Service and is referred to in answer (2).
The NMHS is conducting a separate investigation concerning claims of unauthorised access to confidential
(3) PathWest is in the process of replacing its laboratory information system. The new LIS will incorporate tracking and audit functions to meet contemporary public expectations and business needs.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.