|Question On Notice No. 2578 asked in the Legislative Council on 15 October 2019 by Hon Tim Clifford |
Question Directed to the: Minister for Regional Development representing the Minister for Tourism
Minister responding: Hon P. Papalia
Parliament: 40 Session: 1
(1) Can the Minister advise the House why, notwithstanding section 6(2)(a) of the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987, which specifies that at least one member of the Authority Board “has practical knowledge of and experience in the conservation of the environment”, none of the current six member board has environmental knowledge and experience?
(2) Can the Minister assure the House that in accordance with section 14(1)(a) of the Act, he will not permit the provision of, or allow sanction through the management or development plan, any living accommodation on the island except within the designated settlement area?
(3) Can the Minister assure the House that any development foreshadowed in the Rottnest Island Management Plan (2020-24) and Rottnest Island Master Plan, will fully take account of the fragility of the frontal dunes and the vulnerability of coastal development to coastal erosion due to storm events and sea level rise?
(4) Will the Minister ensure that the Rottnest Island Management Plan (2020-24) and associated Master Plan, when finalized, will address the requirements under the Act [section 11(2)(b) and (c)] to protect the flora and fauna of the Island and to maintain and protect the natural environment and repair its natural environment?
(5) Can the Minister advise the House whether he agrees with the environmental and conservation provisions within the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987 and, if not, whether he is intent upon initiating amendments to the act to render it more in keeping with his vision for the development of Rottnest?
Answered on 19 November 2019
(1) Ms Hannah Fitzhardinge has held positions requiring her to seek conservation outcomes and achieve environmental approvals, which in the opinion of the Minister for Tourism related to Ms Fitzhardinge having practical knowledge of and experience in the conservation of the environment.
(5) The Minister for Tourism agrees with the environmental and conservation provisions within the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987.