Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Council meets today (10:00 AM)
Watch Council live
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
27 June 2018
Hon Martin Aldridge
Hon M.H. Roberts
SOUTH WEST RESCUE HELICOPTER — MINISTERIAL DIRECTION
Hon MARTIN ALDRIDGE
to the minister representing the Minister for Road Safety:
I refer to the minister's direction, pursuant to section 6A of the Road Safety Council Act 2002, of 10 November 2017 in relation to funding for the south west emergency helicopter service.
(1) What funding is allocated from the road trauma trust account for the south west emergency helicopter service in 2018–19 and each of the forward estimates years?
(2) Please provide a copy of the response from the Road Safety Council to the minister's direction of 10 November 2017.
(3) What explanation does the minister give for her noncompliance with section 6A(3) of the Road Safety Council Act 2002 and the required time frame for tabling such a ministerial direction?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question. The following information has been provided to me by the Minister for Road Safety.
(1) Under the former government, the south west helicopter, which began operating on 1 February 2016, was only partly funded until June 2018. The McGowan government worked to secure long-term funding for the helicopter in a tight budget environment. Funding from the road trauma trust account for the south west helicopter is nil in 2018–19 and $4.65 million in 2019–20, 2020–21 and 2021–22.
(2) I table the letter.
[See paper 1503.]
(3) The minister's letter was tabled in the Legislative Assembly on 23 November, within the 14 days required by section 6A(3) of the Road Safety Council Act and a copy was lodged with the Clerk of the Legislative Council on that day. This is in stark contrast to the actions of the now Deputy Leader of the Opposition, who allocated $1.5 million from the road trauma trust account to the Western Force sponsorship deal without any reference to the Road Safety Council, a deal that Mr John Langoulant found in the ''Special Inquiry into Government Programs and Projects: Final Report'' to have been ''possibly unlawful'' and ''beyond the provisions of the act''.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.