Skip to main content

Parliamentary Questions

Question Without Notice No. 1129 asked in the Legislative Council on 15 October 2019 by Hon Aaron Stonehouse

Minister responding: Hon R.H. Cook
Parliament: 40 Session: 1

Answered on 15 October 2019


1129. Hon AARON STONEHOUSE to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health:

I refer the minister to recent changes to the regulations relating to the prescription of medicinal cannabis in New South Wales.

(1) Is it true that, as of these changes being implemented, a doctor in New South Wales need apply for authorisation from the New South Wales Department of Health only if he or she is proposing to prescribe medicinal cannabis to a patient who is either drug dependant or under the age of 16, while all other patient applications now go directly to the Therapeutic Goods Administration for special access scheme approval?

(2) Given that we currently require both departmental and TGA sign-off for all applications here in Western Australia, does the McGowan government have any plans to introduce similar regulatory changes; and, if not, why not?


I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.

(1) Yes.

(2) Changes in New South Wales and the current processes for approval in other states and territories will be considered as part of the ongoing review by the Department of Health into the regulation of the prescribing of medicinal cannabis in Western Australia.