Skip to main content

Parliamentary Questions

Question Without Notice No. 1009 asked in the Legislative Council on 17 September 2019 by Hon Ken Baston

Minister responding: Hon R.H. Cook
Parliament: 40 Session: 1

Answered on


1009. Hon KEN BASTON to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health:

I refer to the answer to question without notice 989 asked on 5 September 2019.

(1) If a Western Australian resident who lives in a WA Country Health Service region is receiving treatment for a medical condition in the metropolitan region and that condition becomes terminal, is funding available to ensure that that person can return to their home town, including via the Royal Flying Doctor Service if that mode of transport is required?

(2) Is there a specific policy in place that addresses this situation?

(3) If yes to (2), is specific information about this policy publicly available?


I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question. I am advised the following.

(1) Yes, if the treatment is eligible for the patient assisted travel scheme and the mode of travel is clinically indicated. Transport between hospitals is not covered by PATS, but costs are met by the transferring hospital and not charged to the patient.

(2) I table the attached patient assisted travel scheme policy.

[See paper 3025.]

The PRESIDENT: Sorry; I was distracted with something else. That document has been tabled.

Hon ALANNA CLOHESY: The answer continues as follows.

(3) The patient assisted travel scheme policy is available publicly via the WACHS internet page. Information videos, brochures, fact sheets and frequently asked questions are also available.