Skip to main content
  • The Legislative Assembly meets on 29/04/2021 (11:00 AM)
    Assembly sit 29/04/2021
  • The Legislative Council meets on 29/04/2021 (02:45 PM)
    Council sit 29/04/2021

Parliamentary Questions

Question Without Notice No. 1044 asked in the Legislative Council on 19 September 2019 by Hon Robin Chapple

Minister responding: Hon S.N. Dawson
Parliament: 40 Session: 1

Answered on


1044. Hon ROBIN CHAPPLE to the Minister for Environment:

I refer to question without notice 873 asked in the Legislative Council on 20 August 2019 and the article to which it refers.

(1) What does the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation recommend as the maximum concentration of trace metals in livestock drinking water?

(2) What action does the department recommend for both irrigation water and potable water in the event of a polluted water source in remote regions?

(3) Does the department offer any monetary or logistic assistance to individuals for cases in which industrial contamination poses risks to quality of life and/or economic viability?

(4) Given the recent and ongoing problems faced by farmers, what is the department's stance on the pollution of entire river systems by industry proponents?


I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.

(1) The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation refers to the maximum concentrations for trace metals in livestock drinking water that are set out in the national guidelines for primary industries, published in volume 3 of the ''Australian and New Zealand Guidelines for Fresh and Marine Water Quality'' published in 2000.

(2)–(4) In response to the pollution of water, the department would liaise with other government agencies and impacted stakeholders, and take action in accordance with its statutory obligations and based on the facts and circumstances of each case.