|Question On Notice No. 2176 asked in the Legislative Council on 4 June 2019 by Hon Robin Scott |
Question Directed to the: Minister for Regional Development representing the Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade
Minister responding: Hon M. McGowan
Parliament: 40 Session: 1
(1) I refer to a letter dated 9 April 2019 titled ‘Removing Legal Barriers to Efficient Environmental Regulation’ signed by Karen Caple Acting Executive Director, Resources and Environmental Compliance Division from the Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS). Can the Minister explain how ‘ low impact activities’ can be managed by standard practices?
(2) If no to (1), why not?
(3) Can the Minister list what are the specific ‘standard practices’ which can be used to manage the programmes of work?
(4) If no to (3), why not?
(5) Can the Minister explain why DMIRS has not written by email and/or by hard copy to consult with all tenement holders in the State of Western Australia for those people whom are not members of Association of Mining and Exploration Companies, Chamber of Minerals and Energy or Amalgamated Prospectors and Leaseholders Association about these proposed changes to legislation?
(6) Can the Minister explain and define what does DMIRS regards as the ‘highest risks and monitoring compliance’ in the mining sector?
(7) If no to (6), why not?
(8) Can the Minister explain why Small Mining Operations templates and definitions are specifically not being included in the low impact notification framework, to greatly assist full time prospectors and mining companies operating in the industry?
(9) If no to (8), why not?
(10) Can the Minister explain why the current Mining Act 1978 and Regulations 1981 does not provide for transparency, procedural fairness in assessments and decision making?
(11) If no to (10), why not?
(12) Can the Minister explain why DMIRS maintains it needs a ‘narrow’ definition of the environment as opposed to a wider definition of the environment, to ensure the department does not duplicate the work of other regulators?
(13) If no to (12), why not?