|Question On Notice No. 1835 asked in the Legislative Council on 12 February 2019 by Hon Robin Scott |
Question Directed to the: Minister for Environment representing the Minister for Emergency Services; Corrective Services
Minister responding: Hon F.M. Logan
Parliament: 40 Session: 1
(1) Can the Minster advise the date of appointment of Antony Sadler as Fire and Emergency Services Superintendent for the Goldfields-Midlands Region, and the date of Antony Sadler taking up the appointment?
(2) Can the Minister confirm the residential city town or suburb address of Superintendent Antony Sadler?
(3) If the residential address of Superintendent Anthony Sadler is not within the Kalgoorlie-Midlands Region, how can this be acceptable to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (FES), and how can this be acceptable to the Minister?
(4) Is the Minister aware of any reason why a FES Regional Superintendent should not be required to have a residential address within the region he or she leads?
(5) What additional annual cost has the Department budgeted for as the result of the Kalgoorlie-Midlands Regional Superintendent living outside the Kalgoorlie Midlands Region?
Answered on 19 March 2019
(1) Mr Antony Sadler was formally appointed as a Superintendent 01 January 2019, but was acting in the role for several months prior.
(2) The role is based in Northam and the appointed Superintendent’s residential address is within acceptable commuting distance of the Regional Office.
(3 - 4) The DFES Goldfields-Midland region covers an area of more than 800,000 square kilometres. DFES maintains offices in Kalgoorlie and Northam to effectively coordinate activities across the Goldfields-Midland region. Management and service delivery to the Goldfields-Midland Region is not impacted by the residential location of the Regional Superintendent. Current and previous Superintendents responsible for the DFES Goldfields-Midland region have been based in Perth, Northam and Kalgoorlie. Service delivery to the Goldfields has not changed. Kalgoorlie has a career fire station staffed on a 24/7 basis and the Kalgoorlie Regional Office is staffed by two District Officers, one Area Officer and one Administration Officer. These officers provide a direct service to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the 14 volunteer brigades/groups and units in and around the Goldfields region.
(5) No additional costs have been budgeted due to the residential address of Regional Superintendent.