Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 08/10/2020 (01:00 PM)
Sitting Today (01:00 PM)
The Legislative Council meets on 08/10/2020 (01:15 PM)
Sitting Today (01:15 PM)
Legislation Committee meet on 30/09/2020 (10:15 AM)
Sitting Today (10:15 AM)
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
5 December 2017
Hon Tim Clifford
Hon S.N. Dawson
5 December 2017
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AUTHORITY — LOT 102 FARRALL ROAD, STRATTON —CARNABY'S BLACK-COCKATOO FEEDING HABITAT
Hon TIM CLIFFORD
to the Minister for Environment:
I refer to the proposed development of lot 102 Farrall Road, Stratton.
(1) Is the minister aware that the Farrall Road site contains one of only seven remaining occurrences of critically endangered threatened ecological community FCT 20c, which is a feeding habitat for the endangered Carnaby's black-cockatoo?
(2) Is the minister aware that the proponent's Environmental Protection Authority referral relied on a definition of the threatened ecological community that is inconsistent with the approved conservation advice for shrublands and woodlands of the eastern Swan coastal plain, which states that all areas meeting the description of FCT 20c are critical to its survival?
(3) Will the minister commit to ensuring that the proponent explores all viable alternatives to the destruction of the threatened ecological community before proposing offsets?
(4) If clearing is permitted on lot 102, the environmental corridor between the adjacent Bush Forever site 309 and the Blackadder Creek and Talbot Road nature reserves will be destroyed. How will the minister ensure the continued viability of Bush Forever site 309?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) Yes. The site contains four occurrences of the threatened ecological community FCT 20c and feeding habitat for Carnaby's black-cockatoo.
(2)–(4) I am aware that an urban development proposal on lot 102 Farrall Road, Stratton, was referred to the Environmental Protection Authority under part IV of the Environmental Protection Act 1986 on 26 September 2017; therefore, it is now a matter for the Environmental Protection Authority. If it is assessed or the Environmental Protection Authority determination is appealed, I will consider the advice and recommendation of the Environmental Protection Authority.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.