Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 08/10/2020 (01:00 PM)
Sitting Today (01:00 PM)
The Legislative Council meets on 13/10/2020 (02:00 PM)
Sitting Today (02:00 PM)
Legislation Committee meet tomorrow (10:15 AM)
Sitting Today (10:15 AM)
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
29 November 2017
Hon Simon O’Brien
Hon R. Saffioti
29 November 2017
PUBLIC TRANSPORT AUTHORITY — CITY OF CANNING — BUS PRIORITY LANES
Hon SIMON O'BRIEN
to the minister representing the Minister for Transport:
I refer to the Public Transport Authority's proposal to initiate a transport corridor linking Fleming Avenue, Civic Gardens, Carden Drive and/or Richmond Street, Cannington.
(1) Will the minister table a map or plan to illustrate the project's scope?
(2) What is the purpose of this project; and, specifically, is it intended to accommodate bus routes or a future light rail route?
(3) What processes are yet to be completed before a final decision is made to proceed with the project?
(4) What is the budget for these works?
Hon STEPHEN DAWSON
I thank the honourable member for some notice of this question.
(1) I table the attached document.
[See paper 920.]
(2) The City of Canning developed a strategic transport plan in 2015 to address the long-term transport requirements for the Canning city centre and movements through and across the city. The plan included a proposal to re-establish the road connection between Fleming Avenue and Civic Gardens, which was closed in 2009, to improve the movement of bus passengers between the Cannington station, Carousel Shopping Centre and Curtin University that are severely impacted by heavy congestion between Manning Road and Cecil Avenue along Albany Highway. The Public Transport Authority supported the proposal and has worked with the city to investigate other bus priority options, including bus lanes on Manning Road and Albany Highway. The PTA concluded that the bus-only connection along Fleming Avenue proposed by the city will provide the greatest benefit to public transport passengers.
If approved by the city, the proposed 150-metre road connection would be a bus-only connection and used by routes 72, 101 and 509 bus services, allowing approximately 200 buses and 3 000 passengers a day to avoid the heavy congestion on Albany Highway.
Allowances have been made to ensure light rail is not designed out and therefore the connection is suitable should a decision be made in the future to operate light rail services to the Cannington city centre.
(3) The city will make a decision on the project at the December council meeting.
(4) The Public Transport Authority's contribution to the project is $2 million, which will see intersection works at the corner of George Street and Fleming Avenue, Civic Gardens and Carden Drive, Richmond Street and Albany Highway and 150 metres to reconnect Fleming Avenue to Civic Gardens.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.