Skip to main content

Parliamentary Questions

Question On Notice No. 2155 asked in the Legislative Council on 15 May 2019 by Hon Jacqui Boydell

Question Directed to the: Minister for Environment; Disability Services; Electoral Affairs
Minister responding: Hon S.N. Dawson
Parliament: 40 Session: 1

I refer to the recently released Plan for Parks, which outlines the creation of five million hectares of new national and marine parks and reserves across Western Australia, and I ask:
(a) will the Minister table a list of all stakeholders that have been identified as being affected under the changes;
(b) will the Minister table a list of all stakeholders that have been or will be engaged in consultation about the changes before they are brought into effect and outline what form of consultation will take place with each;
(c) how many current operation mines and existing mineral resources will be impacted by the changes;
(d) has the Minister sought advice from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety Geological Survey of Western Australia division as the to mineral prospectivity of the five million hectare area;
(e) will the Minister outline any plans for the State Government to compensate stakeholders where there are impacts on current or future earning potentials;
(f) can the Minister provide the amount of State royalty income that the State Government currently receives from mining operations within these impacted areas; and
(g) will the Minister table a detailed outline of the process required to implement the change of land use from pastoral or mining land to a gazetted national park?

Answered on 26 June 2019

(a)-(b) The Government is consulting with traditional owners; the resource sector, including mining and petroleum peak bodies and mining tenement and petroleum title holders (both applicants and granted titles); pastoralists, commercial and recreational fishers, conservation groups; local government authorities, neighbours and other key stakeholders and interest holders on the Plan for Our Parks initiative. Feedback from stakeholders will be considered in refining the park proposals.


A whole-of-Government approach to consultation is taking place through written correspondence, meetings and workshops. The Departments of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA); Primary Industries and Regional Development; Planning, Lands and Heritage; and Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) are involved in the consultation process. Information on Plan for Our Parks is also publicly available on the WA Government and DBCA websites.


(c)-(d) DBCA and DMIRS are working together in respect to the mineral prospectivity of areas subject to park proposals. It is the intention of the Government that there will be no current operating mining leases within the final park proposals once they are refined.  


(e) Given the Government is still consulting about the Plan for Our Parks initiative and is yet to commence the refinement of any park proposals, developing plans for possible stakeholder compensation is considered premature.


(f) As indicated in (c)-(d), it is the intention of the Government that there will be no current operating mining leases within the final park proposals once they are refined. Therefore, no existing State royalty income will be affected.


(g) The process to create new conservation reserves identified under Plan for Our Parks generally requires traditional owner consent obtained through the negotiation and registration of an Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA). Once an ILUA is registered, the administrative steps under the Land Administration Act 1997 can commence to create the reserve. Initially, this includes consultation with the relevant local government authority and other relevant State government agencies and Ministers. The Minister for Environment would then write to the Minister for Lands asking for the reserve to be created and notifying of the Minister’s agreement to joint vesting. Following this, the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage prepares and lodges sundry documents with Landgate to create the reserve.