Skip to main content

Parliamentary Questions

Question Without Notice No. 458 asked in the Legislative Council on 23 August 2017 by Hon Colin Tincknell

Parliament: 40 Session: 1
Answered on 23 August 2017

      458. Hon COLIN TINCKNELL to the Leader of the House representing the Attorney General:
      (1) What is the average waiting period for cases involving child custody disputes to be finalised in the Family Court of Western Australia?
(2) Who is accredited by the Family Court of Western Australia to write family reports?
      (3) Do the people who have been accredited to write family reports have specialised education and training in writing these reports; and, if yes, what training do they have?
Hon SUE ELLERY replied:
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
      (1) Given the nature of part (1) of the question and the resources required to provide this information, I request that the member place this question on notice.
      (2) The Family Court of Western Australia does not give accreditations. Family consultants employed at the Family Court of Western Australia write reports under the commonwealth Family Law Act 1975 and the Western Australian Family Court Act 1997. Private practitioners—single experts—are also appointed by court order to write family reports.
      (3) Family consultants are required to have a degree in psychology or social work and participate in ongoing continued professional development. Private practitioners have a degree in psychology or social work.