Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 08/10/2020 (01:00 PM)
Sitting Today (01:00 PM)
The Legislative Council meets on 08/10/2020 (01:15 PM)
Sitting Today (01:15 PM)
Legislation Committee meet on 30/09/2020 (10:15 AM)
Sitting Today (10:15 AM)
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
22 March 2018
Hon Robin Scott
Hon W.J. Johnston
PROSPECTORS — ACCESS DEEDS
Hon ROBIN SCOTT
to the minister representing the Minister for Mines and Petroleum:
(1) Is the Minister for Mines and Petroleum aware of an article on page 1 of the
of Monday, 19 March 2018 headed ''Fears for miners' rights''?
(2) Has the minister noted that the article attributes to prospectors concerns that Minara Pastoral Holdings has asked prospectors to sign so-called access deeds?
(3) Will the minister confirm that the Mining Act makes no provision for access deeds?
(4) Will the minister ensure that employees of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety neither encourage nor persuade nor coerce prospectors and small miners to sign access deeds?
Hon ALANNAH MacTIERNAN
I thank the member for the question. The Minister for Mines and Petroleum has provided the following information.
(1) The minister is aware of this article.
(3) There is no provision in the Mining Act 1978 for access deeds.
(4) It is up to individual prospectors to make their own decisions regarding whether they choose to enter into such third party agreements. This is already understood by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.