|Question On Notice No. 2189 asked in the Legislative Council on 5 June 2019 by Hon Robin Scott |
Question Directed to the: Minister for Regional Development representing the Minister for Mines and Petroleum; Industrial Relations
Parliament: 40 Session: 1
(1) Has the Minister read a letter, dated 9 April 2019, titled, "Removing Legal Barriers to Efficient Environmental Regulation", signed by the Acting Executive Director, Resources and Environmental Compliance Division from the Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS)?
(2) Can the Minister confirm that the removal of legal barriers to efficient environmental regulation is a goal of DMIRS and will the Minister identify the first or earliest item of DMIRS correspondence using the term "removal of legal barriers to efficient environmental regulation"?
(3) Can the Minister confirm that the letter is intended to invite each recipient to express support or otherwise in a clear written response by Thursday, 18 2019 (sic.) for a proposal to remove legal barriers to efficient environmental regulation?
(4) Noting that the letter attributes to "the proposal" the scope to deliver "Clear legislation that provides transparency and procedural fairness in assessments and decision making", can the Minister table or otherwise furnish a study which demonstrates that the Mining Act 1987 and Mining Regulations 1981 fail to provide transparency and procedural fairness in assessments and decision making?
(5) What is the actual date in 2019, which the author intended should be the closing date for each clear written response?
(6) Can the Minister table or otherwise provide a list of the recipients of this letter?
(7) What was the basis of selection of recipients of this letter?
(8) What is the meaning of "the highest risks and monitoring compliance with responsible mining practices" on which DMIRS is seeking to target its time and resources?
(9) Can the Minister table or otherwise provide the text of the "revised proposal to amend the Mining Act 1978" mentioned at the top of page two of the letter?
(10) Can the Minister list the specific concerns raised by the prospecting community, mentioned in the first paragraph on page two?
(11) What are "low impact activities that can be managed by standard practices" and what are those "standard practices"?
(12) Can the Minister table or otherwise provide the detail of a study which recommends the need for "a very clear and narrow definition of the environment to ensure DMIRS does not duplicate the work of other regulators"?
(13) Will the Minister recommend action to ensure that the work of DMIRS is not duplicated by other regulators, notably the Environment Protection Authority?
(14) Will the Minister direct that the letter be withdrawn and rewritten with clarity and purpose?