Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 03/08/2021 (02:00 PM)
Assembly sit 03/08/2021
The Legislative Council meets on 03/08/2021 (02:00 PM)
Council sit 03/08/2021
The Estimates and Financial Operations Committee meets on 04/08/2021 (10:30 AM)
Committee meet 04/08/2021
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances (Budget Estimates)
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
11 October 2017
Hon Nick Goiran
Hon R.H. Cook
11 October 2017
HEALTH — ABORTION
Hon NICK GOIRAN
to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health:
I refer to the tabling on 10 October 2017 of the minister's notice under section 82 of the Financial Management Act 2006.
(1) Is the minister aware that such notice was required to be laid before each house of Parliament within 14 days after making the decision not to provide information to Parliament on 15 June 2017?
(2) Why was the notice not tabled by 29 June 2017 as required?
(3) What correspondence has been exchanged between the minister and the Office of the Auditor General about the minister's decision to deny information to Parliament on 15 June 2017?
(4) Further to (3), will the minister table a copy of that correspondence; and, if so, when?
(5) Why has an apology not been given to the house?
(6) What steps has the minister implemented to ensure that this breach will not occur again?
Hon ALANNA CLOHESY
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) No. Parliament was notified on 15 June 2017 in the Legislative Council via question on notice 5 that —
The confidential report 'Notification of induced abortions, 2014/15, Gestation 20 weeks or more'
was provided by the Executive Director Public Health to the Minister for Health in August 2016, and a revised version was provided in November 2016.
(b) The report is confidential, contains medical information on 'Reason for Abortion', and will therefore not be tabled.
(2) Notification by the Auditor General of this requirement occurred on 6 July 2017. We responded to the Auditor General on 31 July 2017. The Auditor General then requested further information. The correspondence containing this information was approved and signed on 22 September 2017. This notice was tabled on the first available sitting of Parliament.
(3)–(4) I table the attached correspondence.
[See paper 740.]
(5) Not applicable.
(6) Not applicable. Under section 24 of the Auditor General Act 2006, we await the decision of the Auditor General. The outcome of this decision will be tabled in Parliament.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.