|Question On Notice No. 25 asked in the Legislative Council on 24 May 2017 by Hon Nick Goiran |
Question Directed to the: Leader of the House representing the Minister for Child Protection
Minister responding: Hon S.F. McGurk
Parliament: 40 Session: 1
(1) I refer to the Department for Child Protection and Family Support Screening Unit, and I ask, is this unit responsible for screening staff and foster carers?
(2) Is this unit a separate team from the Working With Children Check Screening Unit?
(3) Does this unit coordinate actions required to ensure compliance in relation to negative notices?
(4) How many negative notices were brought to the attention of the unit in the calendar year 2016?
(5) Do any compliance actions remain outstanding from those negative notices from 2016?
(6) If yes to (5), how many?
(7) Were any employees or carers, who did not have a valid card or application in process, reported to their line management in the calendar year 2016?
(8) If yes to (7), do all now have a valid card?
(9) If no to (8), why not?
Answered on 28 June 2017
1. Yes, the Department for Child Protection and Family Support (the Department) Screening Unit conducts screening for people engaged by the Department, including staff and foster carers.
4. There were 17 Negative Notices in the 2016 calendar year.
6. Not applicable.
7. Yes. The Department monitors Working with Children card compliance for staff and carers on an ongoing basis.
9. Not applicable.