Skip to main content
Toggle Button For website navigation bar
The Legislative Assembly meets on 08/10/2020 (01:00 PM)
Sitting Today (01:00 PM)
The Legislative Council meets on 08/10/2020 (01:15 PM)
Sitting Today (01:15 PM)
Legislation Committee meet on 30/09/2020 (10:15 AM)
Sitting Today (10:15 AM)
Search this website
Bills (proposed laws)
WA Acts and Regulations (current Laws)
Parliamentary Questions and Answers
Order of Business
Watch and listen
Scrutiny of finances
Find your MP
Members of the Legislative Council (Upper House)
President and Office Holders
Upper House Seating Plan
Members of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Speaker and Office Holders
Lower House Seating Plan
What Members do
Ministers and Shadow Ministers
Find a Former MP
Legislative Council (Upper House)
Legislative Assembly (Lower House)
Find Your MP
Find out what was said in Parliament
Watch and listen
What Parliament does
Make a submission
Contact a member
Vote in an election
Parliamentary Friendship Groups
Former Members Association
Visit and Learn
Plan your visit
Educators and students
Learn how Parliament works
History, house and grounds
Events and exhibitions
Art in Parliament
asked in the
14 August 2018
Hon Colin Tincknell
Hon R.H. Cook
THERAPEUTIC GOODS ADMINISTRATION — MEDICAL CANNABIS — APPLICATIONS
Hon COLIN TINCKNELL
to the parliamentary secretary representing the Minister for Health:
In March 2018, the Therapeutic Goods Administration introduced a single online application process to expedite approval of medical cannabis applications. This online system has been successfully implemented by other states. However, the system is still pending in WA, with many patients facing lengthy delays in obtaining approval as they deal with commonwealth and state application processes.
(1) What is the expected ''go live'' date for the single application process for medical cannabis in WA?
(2) What is the reason for the delay in implementing the single application process?
(3) Will the 15-member medical advisory committee currently dealing with applications be involved in the new streamlined process?
(4) If yes to (3), to what extent will they be involved?
(5) Can the minister assure applicants that applications will be dealt with within 48 hours?
Hon ALANNA CLOHESY
I thank the honourable member for some notice of the question.
(1) The expected date of commencement is September 2018.
(2) The single online process relies on an IT system owned by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. The exact date of commencement is dependent on the TGA.
(3) The cannabis-based product assessment panel will not have any routine involvement in decisions on authorising the prescribing of a cannabis-based product.
(4) Not applicable.
(5) All completed applications will have a decision made within 48 hours.
Using this website
Acknowledgement of Country
The Parliament of Western Australia is honoured to be situated on the ancestral lands of the Whadjuk Noongar people. The Parliament acknowledges the First Australians as the traditional owners of the lands we represent and pays respects to their Elders both past and present.