Skip to main content

Parliamentary Questions

Question Without Notice No. 75 asked in the Legislative Council on 18 May 2017 by Hon Nick Goiran

Parliament: 40 Session: 1
Answered on 18 May 2017

      75. Hon NICK GOIRAN to the Leader of the House representing the Minister for Child Protection:
I refer to the department's policy, practice and procedure for the handling of potential claims for children in care.
      (1) What is the department's procedure for ensuring that the right of a child in care to make a claim against a third party is pursued?
(2) Further to (1), is legal advice sought on behalf of the child?
(3) If yes to (2), from whom?
(4) If yes to (2), who pays for the cost of that advice?
      (5) Does the department have a separate procedure for when the child's potential claim is against the department?
On behalf of the Leader of the House, I thank the honourable member for some notice of this question.
      (1) The matter is referred to the Department for Child Protection and Family Support's general law unit.
(2) Yes.
(3) It is sought from either a department lawyer or an independent lawyer.
(4) The department.
(5) The matter is referred to an independent lawyer.